My Journalism Professor Made Me Do It.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

TRANSIT with I AM THE AVALANCHE, BAYSIDE & SAVES THE DAY - 10.9 @ Royale, Boston

Continuing the concert-buddy trend, Sam and I booked it last minute to Royale to try and catch Transit at the earliest time ever (5:30 p.m.). Obviously they opened with "Long Lost Friends," I track I have listened to about 45-thousand times and still can't get enough of.

I'm not gonna lie: I hear that Transit sucked live, so I was a bit tense when they first came out. Part of what makes their album Listen & Forgive so awesome is its production (who the hell produced it? Someone over at Rise set them up big time -- someone help me out here). A lot of people are crediting Transit's maturity in musicianship to Torre Cioffi, who replaced Joe Lacy on guitar as of this year. But whoever produced this album really embraced touches of guitar distortions that really make the album.

And thank God, Transit pulled it off brilliantly live. Singer Joe Boynton is notorious for sucking live. He definitely has to work on his pitch, but his strength is there. Ever more, his stage presence is unreal. If this kid has never taken theatre before, he better get on that shit. He's intense, he's pissed at the girls he sings about, it's almost as if he's pleading to the gods when he belts out. Yeah, it's a bit melodramatic. But it makes the guy irreplaceable.

We didn't really think we'd stay for everyone else, but why not? I Am the Avalanche are actually hilarious at how pissed off they are, obviously gearing towards the teenage-angst crowd. Having never really listened to the band before, IATA preambled their songs with intros like "This song's called 'Fuck You'" and "This is about my second restraining order!."

Nice.

















Bayside
of course take the cake with Anthony Raneri's vocals. He definitely compares to the late Alexisonfire's Dallas Green with strength and boldness (sounds like a coffee). Saves the Day are kind of hilarious in terms of how many late-20-year-old were totally into Chris Conley's elmo vox.

I don't mean to be a hater, but we came for Transit and got what we wanted. Everyone else was just icing on the cake. Not the most delicious icing at times, but icing none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment